Saturday, January 8, 2011

My Heart is Useless No More

I used to be consumed by material things. I wanted a paved way for my children. I wanted them to have money so that they would succeed in life. But recently all that has changed. I have come to realize my children are well taken care of, why do they need all that money, just to be thrown away? I was sadly mistaken. Just before Christmas I had a friend of mine comment on some jewelry one of her friends were selling. I noticed that the jewelry was hand-made from Uganda. Me being the creative person I am I was curious to see the jewelry. I know my grammar may be off, but you guys this is my heart. Anyway, I went to the album where the jewelry was sold and I befriended Christie Cotney to which the jewelry belonged. She accepted my friend request and I started looking through her albums of Bugabo Village, Uganda. Boy was my heart in for a surprise.

Christie Cotney had an album named "Maria and her Mom". My heart was broken at what I saw. A 15lb. two year old. My heart ached. I wanted to hold her and give her love. Maria smile filled my heart. I melted. Her mother suffers from Epilepsy that has gone untreated. She is in need of medical attention, but that is the least of her worries. They drink dirty water that is filled with parasites. They can become sick and die. She was rejected from the village because of her condition. Christie found them sitting on a dirty cloth in the dirt. There were pictures of the inside of their hut. Only a dirt floor and walls. Maria was wearing the same onesie she had on since she was born. It was covered in dirt. Now if that don't break your heart nothing will.

Now Christie lives in Bugabo Village, Uganda . She gave up her "American Dream" to help those in need. She gave up everything. She brought sunshine to a place of darkness, a place of no hope, a witchcraft village. She is teaching them about God and showing them love and compassion that they have never experienced. Could you imagine a life without a hug?

But not only did she bring sunshine to Uganda, she brought sunshine to my heart. God now shines over Uganda and his children. I am closer to God now than I have ever been, and I have been saved for almost 2 years. The material things that I held so dear, are not as important as they seemed. I took for granted the simple things I had in life like shoes, water, or a second set of clothing. Now let your heart be useful as God has made mine useful through her. I ask that you put yourself in their shoes. Would you want your children living this way. I ask that you donate anything. Give in love, and give cause they have nothing and I hope you see that you really have it all. I hope you all enjoy my first blog ever and there will be many more to come. I am so thankful to have found a friend like her and many more like her. God bless you.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world Stormy!! I just love your heart! Thanks for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo Hoo!!! Another like-minded blogger to stalk! ;) Feels good to see Christie's work huh? Thanks for stopping by my blog too. I look forward to many more posts from you!

    ReplyDelete